Every record collector knows that this is the worst nightmare. Watching your collection, in which you have invested years and years and tons of money, get swept away, is very hard and heartbreaking. Unfortunately, this happens often, and people sometimes don´t know how to deal both with damaged belongings and stress caused by the flood. But, in the following lines, we´ll present you few tips you need to follow to save your belongings.
How to save your records?
- Air drying: It´s the most common method of drying damaged records. It´s the most inexpensive one, but very labor intensive. This method can occupy a lot of space and time, but there´s no guarantee that your records will be saved.
- Freezer drying: Moderately wet records can successfully be dried in a self-defrosting freezer. Damaged items should be placed in the freezer right after the flood has occurred. Depending on the extent of the water damage, and on your freezer´s temperature, this method of drying might take from few weeks to several months.
- Vacuum thermal drying: Thermal drying chamber might be a good solution for drying your items, and each of them is dried above 32°F. This method of drying is one of the most accepted for wet records, but books, for example, might suffer extreme distortion. For large quantities of items, this method is more cost-effective than air drying.
- Vacuum freeze drying: This process requires very sophisticated equipment and is also suitable for wet records. The method uses the physical process known as sublimation. That means that ice crystals are vaporizing without melting. The biggest advantage of the method is that there is no additional distortion once the items are placed in the chamber.
How to deal with flood damage inflicted to your home?
- Look for the right specialist: Get a water damage restoration service as soon as possible. They´ll quickly remove all of your damaged belongings and start with drying everything out. Also, a mold specialist is more than welcome in such situations. You have to be sure that, once you start with remodeling, everything is dried out as before the flood so don´t rush and let the flood cleanup service do the job.
- Avoid dealing with mold: When a natural disaster occurs, remediation is something you shouldn´t deal with because when you disturb the mold, it´s more likely to spread it throughout your home. Most flood cleanup services have the right equipment for dealing with mold and know how to prevent it from spreading.
- Sort out the damaged furniture and other items: Saturated furniture should be thrown away immediately. The same should be done with carpets. The easiest way to remove a carpet is to cut it into manageable sections, roll them and dispose of them. In case the water went under your cabinets, you should remove them as well. But, if a small amount of water went underneath cabinets, you might be able to save them by cutting holes in the toe kick. These holes are easy to fix once you begin with reconstruction.